Why most software is useless for contracting businesses
(and what to look for when buying)
Most software is designed for 'regular' businesses that:
- sell goods and services from fixed physical location(s)
- operate on a transaction by transaction basis (one sale at a time, one after the other)
- have the same staff working at that location, day in, day out
Software designed for 'regular' businesses is not well suited for contracting businesses.
Contracting is different; it is a manufacturing industry that:
- is mobile
- works on a job-by-job basis
- works in multiple locations
- works with different groups of people on each job
Contracting businesses must navigate their own ocean, one with its own set of forces. Information needs to be managed, organized, scheduled, and communicated differently - on a job-by-job basis, accessible from multiple locations, with mobile devices.
Check out the three common types of construction software (and the big gap),